Museum Ancient Nessebar – Nessebar
Home > Free time > Museum Ancient Nessebar – Nessebar
Old Nessebar is part of UNESCO World Heritage List since 1983.
Музей Старинен Несебър – град Несебър
Museum Ancient Nessebar – Nessebar

Ancient Nessebar Museum includes objects of architectural reserve Nessebar, which are available for tourists. These are the churches “Sveti Stefan” and “Sveti Spas” and two museums – Archeological and Ethnographic.

Nessebar is a town with ancient history. Numerous archaeological finds prove its existence back more than 3,000 years. The four halls of the Archaeological Museum tell the story of the city. There can be considered findings from all historical periods – ornaments, gravestones, stone statues.

After Christianity became the official religion of the Byzantine Empire, the city began massive construction of Christian churches even believe that once their number has reached 40 or more. The period of XI – XIII century. Church “Sveti Stefan” New Metropolia. The plan is a three-nave basilica, built of stone and bricks. The church was painted in 1599, and in it are depicted over 1000 figures in 258 compositions. Are depicted scenes from the miracles of Christ. The church preserves an original-style painted iconostasis from the late sixteenth century. And carved bishop’s throne and pulpit from the late eighteenth century. The church is not functioning and has been turned into a museum. Located near the amphitheater of Nessebar.

The church “St. Spas” is also a museum. Built in 1609 by means of a rich citizen Nessebar. Unknown master painted its frescoes in the seventeenth century. In its floor for many years was kept tombstone of Byzantine Princess Mataisa Kantakouzene Palaiologina is now exhibited at the Archaeological Museum in Nesebar. The temple was declared an architectural monument of national importance in the number 41 of the State Gazette in 1964

The Ethnographic Museum is also located in Old Town. The exhibition presents his life, traditional clothing, holidays inhabitants of Nessebar. The museum is located in a house Moskoyani whose architecture is typical representative of the Nesebar residential architecture. It was built in 1804 and was owned by a rich merchant Panaiot Moskoyani.

Throughout the Old Town is an open air museum. Besides the archaeological and ethnographic museum, which keep the history and memory of the ancient city, and the two churches museums throughout the city can be seen traces of different historical epochs. On the north coast of the peninsula are still remains of the basilica “Eleusa Virgin Mary” and in the inner city are the remains of late ancient baths and other churches.

Old Nessebar is part of the list of World Cultural and Natural Heritage 1983 The beautiful old town is among the 10 finalists in the “Wonders of Bulgaria” held in 2011

Tags:

Leave a Reply